Purpose of this Blog

This blog is a place for us to share our thoughts with others as well as a place for us to visit and remember. Our other blogs describe our comings and goings, events and work but here is a place to know us and see our thoughts. They will not always be profound, deep, or even serious but they will always be true to our hearts. I hope looking at our journey will bless you along yours...

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Looking for God or comfort...

Central America is not short on inconveniences, discomfort and difficulties. How those affect my prayer life reveal my understanding of growth. The book of James teaches us to consider it pure joy when we face trials. From where I stand on my faith journey, trials are far from a joyful thing. I frequently find myself trying to mitigate them or plan them away. Some I pay extra money to remove and when all the above doesn't work I try to pray them away missing the gifts they bring with them.

I find myself praying for God's blessings when really I am praying for my comfort. These "blessings" are frequently the things that get me to NOT pay attention to God. When I am comfortable my dependence upon him is diminished. It is my need that draws me to him. It is the trials and the struggle that bring growth. Ps 13 teaches us to pray for God's empowering to grow through not the removal of difficulties.

Do I want a trouble free life or do I want to be like Christ...I cannot have it both ways.

2 comments:

Dora Haddox said...

Sorry for all of the difficulties. We are promised trials and difficulties, but we are also promised the comfort of God so we can use the times of difficulties to help others.
All we can do is be available and try to understand what God has in mind for us.
I know you are aware of all of this more than I am, but keep in mind that we are always wanting to encourage you in every aspect of you path. I don't have any answers, only our prayers that God will open the door that He wants you to go through, whether you are here or there.
We Love you,
Dad

Scott said...

Could it be that you were praying that this 3 month trip would be a test for you and your family? In my experience when God tests He tests! We are all praying for you and the family and know that He will work all things out for good! Missing and loving you all!,
Scott, Mari, Alyssa & Phillip